Known for being Australia’s cultural capital, Melbourne is a destination where creativity and innovation come together to deliver great events. With a world-famous food and arts scene and new, exciting hotels opening regularly, there is a lot to love about Melbourne!
Did you know – Melbourne won Oceania’s best Meetings and Conference Destination at the 2020 World Travel Awards
Snapshot of Melbourne
- Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport is the main airport for Victoria, offering plenty of domestic and international flights each day.
- The Melbourne CBD is only a 20-30 minute drive from the Melbourne Tullamarine Airport (dependant on traffic) with a number of transfers available, including the ‘SkyBus’.
- Victoria’s second-biggest airport ‘Avalon’ is closer to Geelong and takes approximately a 50-minute drive to reach Melbourne CBD.
- You can also travel to Melbourne city via rail from both Sydney and Canberra using the NSW Trainlink services. Both daytime and overnight journeys are available.
Highlights of the region
- Free public transport in the city centre, thanks to Melbourne’s famous tram network
- A very multicultural community with origins from over 200 countries, Melbourne is well known for its dynamic and diverse food scene.
- A thriving culture of laneway restaurants and rooftop bars.
- Iconic sporting venues and stadiums such as the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Marvel Stadium, Rod Laver Arena, and Margaret Court Arena are all within 10 minutes of the city.
- The ever-changing outdoor gallery of street art. Check out murals around the city including Hosier and ACDC Lane!
- Crown Casino precinct at Southbank, just a few minutes’ walk from the MCEC.
- The best pizza, pasta, and gelato in the Italian precinct of Lygon St, Carlton
- Local fashion boutiques, live music, and creative bars and cafes in the suburbs of Fitzroy, Collingwood, and Brunswick.
- Scenic St Kilda Esplanade and beach.
- Activities like scenic helicopter rides or hot air balloon flights over the city.
- Galleries and museums such as the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), Melbourne Museum, the Lume (digital gallery), and ACMI (film).
- The Melbourne Zoo and Melbourne Aquarium
- The Royal Botanic Gardens of Victoria (Melbourne)- 38 hectares, including more than 8,500 species of plants and multiple event spaces.
- More than 800 wineries and 600 cellar doors across five nearby wine regions.
- The city is a ‘Top 10 Sustainable Global Destination’ (Global Destination Sustainability Index).
Venues and Accommodation
Melbourne has a huge range of venues and accommodation for corporate events of any scale. In fact, there are 10,000 hotel rooms within just a fifteen-minute walk of the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC).
As there are so many options to choose from, send us your event requirements for a personalised venue sourcing experience.
Would you like to know more?
If you are interested in planning an event in Melbourne? Please give us a call on (02) 4861 5973 or contact us here.