Far North Coast
The Far North Coast of NSW is a naturally diverse region with a mix of picturesque coastlines and beaches, world heritage forests and rural hinterlands further inland. This region takes in the towns of Kingscliff, Byron Bay, Ballina, Lismore and Grafton.
On the NSW and QLD border, you will find Kingscliff – a coastal area that has developed into a gourmet hub, with a number of excellent cafes and restaurants along Marine Parade and Bells Boulevard.
Byron Bay is the main town of the far north coast and is home to spectacular beaches, many music and art festivals annually, eclectic dining shops and bars. Cape Byron is also the most eastern point of mainland Australia.
Ballina sits at the mouth of the Richmond River, making it a great destination for water based activities such as kayaking, boat rides and SUP. It was recently listed as one of Australia’s top 10 trending towns in NSW.
Travel inland and you will find Lismore, the heart of the Rainbow Region, an area renowned for its extraordinary natural beauty, amazing cultural diversity, relaxed lifestyles and quirky charms; a place where old school blends with new age and nature sets the pace. It is also surrounded by magnificent World Heritage National Parks.
Further south near the Clarence river is Grafton. One of Australia’s most beautiful provincial cities, Grafton is renowned for its Jacaranda trees, graceful old buildings, sporting and cultural facilities, and its location on the banks of the Clarence River. The Clarence Valley is a region replete with many natural wonders and there are numerous national parks & nature reserves for visitors to enjoy.
The beauty of the Far North Coast region is how it manages to maintain its unique small town charm, but has infrastructure such as airports and large hotels in place, making it really suitable for corporate groups.
- Stand on the most Eastern point of Australia at Cape Byron.
- Visit the Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum.
- Browse through treasures at one of the many Lismore or Grafton markets
By AirTo Kingscliff - Fly to the Gold Coast Airport (Coolangatta).
- 1 hour 20 mins - from Sydney. Direct flights daily with Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin.
- 2 hours 5 mins - from Melbourne. Direct flights daily with Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin.
- 1 hour 5 mins - from Newcastle (NSW). One direct flight per day with Jetstar.
- 1 hour 20 mins - from Sydney. Direct flights daily with Jetstar, Virgin and Rex.
- 2 hours - from Melbourne. One direct flight per day with Jetstar.
- 1 hour 20 mins - from Newcastle (NSW). One direct flight daily with FlyPelican.
- Fly to the Ballina Byron Gateway Airport (see above for flight duration)
- 1 hour 40 mins - from Sydney to Lismore Regional Airport. One direct flight daily with Rex.
- 1 hour 25 mins - from Sydney. One direct flight per day with Rex.
Climate of Far North Coast
- Recreational surfing and surf school.
- Windsurfing and kitesurfing
- Water skiing, kayaking and wake boarding.
- Boat charters, fishing trips / tours
- Dolphin and Humpback Whale watching (seasonal)
- Horse riding tours (sometimes on the beach)
- Cycling tours
- Hiking, orienteering and nature tours (National Parks).
- Scenic flights (small planes and helicopters).
- Visit the Macadamia Castle (Ballina).
- Food tours and cooking classes.
- Spa treatments
- Beach yoga and meditation
- Art and craft classes